Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ray of Light

We've all locked our keys in the car, or accidentally left the car unlocked when we intended to lock it, but today's "Ray of Light" has to do with taking this one step further...

Yesterday was a busy day. I had to get Bradley to preschool, get the oil changed in the car, deal with getting the transmission leak fixed on Ryan's car, go to Costco, go to Smith's, and a choir practice. Oh, yeah and then go help Ryan pick up his car after the choir practice (the shop is about 30 minutes away). Now that would be busy for most people, but understanding that we live about 13 minutes from Smith's and the Oil change place and about 23 minutes from Costco, oh and I couldn't do them in the same trip (LONG STORY). Needless to say, my mind wasn't completely with me, especially if you consider my similarities with Dory.

I come out of Smith's with 2 cranky boys helping me push the cart (why did I even bother getting a truck cart if they weren't going to sit in it?!) scanning the parking lot for our van. I was pretty sure I knew roughly where it was, but the only van that looked like ours had it's door wide open.

As I got closer I realized...That's MY car!

Here I'd been in Smith's for at least 30 minutes with my "locked car" (I did push the lock button before I left) WIDE open. AAAACCKKK!

So my "Ray of Light" is gratitude for all of the honest people that didn't steal my car, or the DVD player in it, etc. Trust me I'll be checking my doors more carefully, but it is nice to think that as a general rule, everything would probably be just fine if I forgot again.

5 comments:

Jen and Joe. said...

remember when I shut my own finger in your dad's van?

That's what this story reminded me of.

That, and I had to do a million errands today, too. I'm so happy that everything turned out just fine with your van! What a blessing!

Marianne said...

You know Jen, the funny thing is I don't remember that, but I remember you bringing it up. Weird what sticks with you and what doesn't.

Jeanerbee said...

Oh thank goodness! What a relief to find nothing was stolen! We've had a few times in our marriage when we found brad's keys hanging in the outside lock to our front door in the morning because he would unlock the door and forget to pull them out. Thankfully we've never been walked in on or murdered because of it =).

HeatherH said...

A few months after I had my second, Ellie, I went through that. I left the keys in the lock ALL the time. I would go to the grocery store and leave the front door wide open (the screen was closed and maybe locked). There was even one time I left the side door (no screen) wide open. I was very lucky nothing got stolen! I still sometimes look at that door and make sure I got it closed! LOL :)

Lovely Lisa said...

Glad you had a happy ending! I've done things like that many times in life.