Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ray of Light- DBSA

I just got back from my first support group...it was great! I guess that sounds kind of funny to have a support group for depression and bipolar be "great," so maybe I should say it was uplifting, hopeful, comfortable, and an HUGE relief to be there with others who are fighting a similar battle.

This group is run by the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA). The best part about this group is that the ones running it are suffering too. It's not just run by a therapist that can't really understand how it is to be there. My husband is a therapist and I LOVE what they can do, but it is still different to be in a room with a group of people that a least to a certain extent know exactly what you're going through. Even though about half of us there were at this group for the first time, there just seemed to be this instant bond. We are all fighting and we've all decided that we don't want to do it alone.

I was definitely dragging my feet about going. Granted, it's been the summer and so I have legitimately had lots of things going, but I'm so glad I just did it tonight. I find the more and more open I am with what I'm fighting, the easier the battle becomes, or maybe more correctly, the easier it is to fight.

I don't think I learned anything or came away with a huge "aha" moment, but I definitely feel better because I went. I'll definitely go as often as I can in the future. This support group is truly a blessing and my "Ray of Light" for today.

***DBSA has chapters all across the country. If you've been diagnosed, or feel like you are suffering for either depression or bipolar disorder, I STRONGLY recommend your seeking out your local chapter. Even with the gas prices how they are today, it is well worth the 30 minute drive (both ways). The DBSA website is also a great resource for not only those struggling with these diseases, but also for family and friends that would like to know more. Check it out!***

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I'm really proud of you for going... I know my biggest hurdle would be "I don't know ANYONE there!!!!" I just have a hard time with people I don't know. But, of course, once you GO then you know people. :)