Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ray of Light

****I'm posting this the night of the 21st since we'll be leaving the morning of the 22nd for some MUCH needed time alone****

Today, there is NO question what my "Ray of Light" should be. In reality it could be my "Ray of Light" every day. But specifically today on my 8th Anniversary, Ryan (my husband for those of you that didn't know that) HAS to be it.

An aside, if you don't like sentimentality or romance, stop reading know and just know that Ryan is AMAZING and I have NEVER made a better decision in my life than when I decided to marry him.

Anyone that knows Ryan, knows he's a great guy. Anyone that has watched him with our children knows he's a great dad. Anyone that has worked with him knows he's a HARD worker. Anyone that has gone to school with him knows he's CRAZY smart. Anyone that has had therapy from him knows Marriage and Family Therapy is his "calling." Anyone that has learned from him knows he has the gift for teaching. Anyone that has heard him speak or read his writing knows he is eloquent. Anyone that has asked for his help knows he really cares.

But no one, but me truly knows how he loves. I know the words I have are not enough, but I'll attempt to do him justice. No, Ryan isn't perfect, but he truly has been perfect for me...faults and all. Often other women will complain about their husbands and seriously the worst thing I could think to say was that before we had a dishwasher sometimes he'd forget to wash the bottoms of the plates! Sure we've had disagreements, but he was ALWAYS quick to apologize and forgive so really it was never anything I ever even thought to complain about. On countless occasions I have thought, "Oh if only there were more Ryans in the world...every woman deserves one of him." Or there have been times when I'd hear someone say something sad that their husband had done, and I'd think, "Wow. Ryan would never do something like that."

Ryan completely exemplifies the concept of, "If you each take care of each other, than you don't have to worry about yourself." I have NEVER had to worry that someone didn't have my back. Especially over these last 2 years as the depression has stormed through our life, the ONE earthly thing I could on was Ryan. He has NEVER complained. Even after long days of classes or work, he'd come home and pick up where I'd left off (which was often no more than feeding the boys). He'd do dishes, do laundry, pick up the house, work in the yard, cook dinner, take care of the boys, you name it...he has NEVER been above "woman's work." Even from the first days of our marriage, he never expected me to do it all.

Even when I've had times when I was incredibly low and I'd wonder why Ryan didn't leave me, I never wondered that because he gave any signs that he was thinking that way, only because I felt like he should. The hurt look in his eyes when I would suggest such a thing was proof enough that he never would.

He also LOVES our boys such much and that is one of the most significant ways he could pick to tell ME "I love you!" I've heard some women say that they're nervous to leave their husbands home with the kids for too long, that thought has never even crossed my mind. I have NO doubt that they are in the best of hands with him...often more emotionally stable than if they were in my own hands. He ALWAYS wants what is best for them. He is an active participant in their learning and growing. While in school he'd wake up early just so he could play with the boys before he had to leave. I could not have asked for a better father for my children.

He LOVES the Lord. Again, this is SUCH a huge thing for me. Do I ever have to wonder whether he's worthy to give me a priesthood blessing* at a moments notice? No! Do I ever have to worry that he's reading his scriptures or praying daily? No! Do I ever have to wonder if he has faith in our Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ? No! But do I ever have to worry that he is arrogant about his knowledge and understanding of the Lord's plan for us? No! He is truly humble. He would never suggest that he knows everything or that he is better than anyone that might know less than he does. He shows me every day through his actions and words that his love for our Lord runs true and deep. On countless occasions I have had to lean on his spiritual strength and I have never fallen because I did that.

He is a true gentleman. He is always polite to my mother and sisters, not to mention his mother and sisters. He sees all women as they are, daughters of our loving Father in Heaven...and he treats them accordingly. He also tries to treat his fellow man (in general) with the utmost respect. Often he has run into others that believe differently than we do, both religiously and secularly. He would never think to belittle someone for that difference. He definitely stands strong in the truth, but he tries his best to share his message in kindness and love and truly if one was to be offended by him, I believe the fault would be theirs.

I could go on and on...seriously. But I will save that for another day. More than anything I want Ryan to know that I love him with all that I am. I loved him deeply when we were married & sealed** 8 years ago in the Mt. Timpanogos Temple*** and through the beauty of true love, I love him even more today. And it's not like I just don't mind him around, I truly cannot imagine my life without him, nor do I even want to. He is my best friend, my love, my spiritual advisor, the father of my children, my support, and the one that I can't wait to spend the rest of eternity with. I truly made the best decision of my life when I promised to not only him, but the Lord, to love him and be only his forever.

I love you Ryan! Thank you for lighting up my entire life!



*Priesthood Blessing: A blessing given by a Melchizedek Priesthood holder, by the laying on of hands and by inspiration, to one who is sick or otherwise in need of special counsel, comfort, or healing. If the blessing is for the sick, consecrated oil is used (James 5:14-15).

**Sealed/Sealing: An ordinance performed in the temple eternally uniting a husband and wife, or children and their parents.

***Temples: Temples are literally houses of the Lord. They are holy places of worship where individuals make sacred covenants with God. Because making covenants with God is such a solemn responsibility, individuals cannot enter the temple to receive their endowments or be sealed in marriage for eternity until they have fully prepared themselves and been members of the Church for at least a year. Throughout history, the Lord has commanded His people to build temples. The Church is working to build temples all over the world to make temple blessings more available for a greater number of Heavenly Father's children.

6 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Happy Anniversary! Not only are you extremely lucky to have Ryan, he is also extremely lucky to have you. You're both some of the most wonderful people I know.

Vicky said...

I forgot in the email I just sent: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! (I totally meant to end with it, but by the time I got to the end, it slipped my mind)

This was a beautiful post. Enjoy your weekend away!

Vicky said...

Happy anniversary! I hope you enjoy your time alone - you deserve it!

Mara Hinton said...

Happy Anniversary! And, a huge AMEN to everything you said! I think Ryan is just the greatest, and I've always been so glad that you married him. You both are so perfect together. And I thought everything you said about him was so sweet. I feel lucky to feel exactly the same way about my husband...I even thought about having him come over here and read it and just say "Those are really MY words to YOU..." Hahaha! Have a wonderful trip!

Megan said...

I hope y'all had a great anniversary. You BOTH are wonderful and are perfect for each other!

Julie said...

Marianne, what touching words about Ryan- you've got a great guy. Happy Anniversary!