Tuesday, August 5, 2008

An important addition to "Learning Limits"

I realized as I thought about what I posted that I didn't fully explain myself in the last post...

Serving others is a wonderful thing to do. A life absent of service is a truly sad thing. I definitely still try to serve others...it would be worse for me to not serve than to over serve. Where the major difference is, is that I have to take myself and where I am emotionally into consideration SO much more than I ever did before. I can't say yes to every, or even most service opportunities because if I do I find that I will not have enough strength to take care of my own family or myself. Again, this may sound similar to every one's situation, and to a certain extent it is, but I have to be that much more selective in what I'll do. I have to try my best to make sure I can accomplish the most with the least effort so I still have the emotional strength to go on. Now more than ever, I have to evaluate and make sure my cup is full (I guess think about it like my cups capacity has been cut in half) before I try to share with anyone else.

2 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I hope you don't mind that I've stumbled across your blog.

I love what you say here. There is a misconception amongst a lot of women (and it seems especially LDS women) that you can't say 'no.' There really is a need to prioritize and take care of ourselves first so that we are better able (or able at all) to take care of others. Some people can do this more than others, and it doesn't say anything about a person. Knowing our capacities and working within them is far more healthy than running ourselves into the ground.

I love what you're writing, and I know I'm benefiting from it. I'm sure others are too. :)

Vicky said...

Always remember that your family is your #1 service. Being a wife and mommy is what God has called you to do, above all other things. It is your ministry. When you say "no" to something, don't feel like you aren't doing any service. You are! You are serving your husband and sons, and choosing to make sure that that calling is filled to it's fullest before taking on anything else. Being a wife/ mommy is a TOUGH job!