Thursday, August 21, 2008

Just Like Dory: Take 2

So I was telling my husband about my post from yesterday and he said something to the effect of (I'm proving his point right here), "Yeah, you're just like Dory, but with a slightly better memory!" (Dory, from Finding Nemo)

I could have been upset, but it's TOTALLY true!

My memory loss definitely started with my first pregnancy, and was very much present with my second, but seriously, since having depression I can't remember anything. People joke about "senior moments" when they get old...what's my excuse?! I'm not one toe freak out about age, but I definitely didn't think 27 was old (at least not after turning 12 or so). But I'm all about "senior moments"...too bad I don't have that excuse.

I do think depression in general makes it hard to focus. Like I've said before, it's almost like you have a TV or radio on in your head all the time and it is constantly flipping channels. With that much craziness going on inside my head all the time, I'm not even sure if the things that are said to me even stick correctly. I have become very bound to my calendar. If it's not on there, it would be pure divine intervention for me to remember it.

I feel so bad when I'm talking to friends and I KNOW they've already answered the question I'm about to ask, but I just don't remember it. :( I really think it is important to try to remember things that are important to other people (i.e. their kids' or spouse's names, etc.). To me it shows, to a certain extent, that you care enough about them to actually listen to what they say. So for all of my friends out there, I apologize. I'm trying my best to tune out the noise in my head and really listen. You are that important, I just can't help it if the recorder is broken!

No comments: