Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ray of Light

One thing I've found VERY helpful is to look for the positives. Granted typically in a really hard moment I DON'T want to hear that, but as something I do as a regular part of every day, I find this VERY helpful. I first started actively doing this after hearing Pres. Eyring's Oct. 2007 General Conference Talk. He specifically suggested writing down our blessings each day. Even though I was mired in the depths of depression, this really helped my overall outlook. I'm not as diligent in writing my blessings down each day, but since then I've definitely become more aware of the little "rays of light" all around me.

That being said, I'd like to start posting "rays of light" that come into my life. I'd love to hear yours as well.

Today I have 2 rays to share:

#1: I had a hard night last night because I pushed myself too much yesterday. Usually that leads to a hard next day. Ryan knew that and so he left the following post-it note in the bathroom for me.



It was a simple and sweet gesture, but it meant the world to me.

#2: The novelty of helping clean up has LONG sense passed for Bradley. He'll still help us, but typically it's with a good share of whining and he'll NEVER do it without help...or so I thought. I suppose it was about the proper motivation.

Our stake* does a special program called Hearts for the Holidays. Last year our stake provided Christmas for 85 families. It is all based on donations from the members of our stake. Each ward* decides on specific things they will do to help donate to the cause. One thing they're having the children do is to find ways to earn money around the house to donate.

I told Bradley that every time he picked up his toys without my having to ask him more than once, he'd get 5 pennies to give to the kids who didn't have any toys. He was SO excited. Needless to say, his toys have been picked up without much protest since we started this.

What a SWEET thing for someone that is only 4 to do. It made my heart melt!


*Stake: A stake is an administrative unit composed of multiple congregations in denominations of the Latter Day Saint movement. A stake is approximately comparable to a diocese in the Catholic Church and other Christian denominations. The name "stake" derives from the verse "[e]nlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitation: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes" (Isaiah 54:2). A stake is sometimes referred to as a stake of Zion. -Wikipedia



*Ward: Within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), the congregations are broken up geographically. Instead of choosing to attend a specific service based on the preacher, members of the LDS Church attend a specific service (or ward) based on where we live.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I love the incentive you came up with for Bradley. What a way to teach him the joy of giving!

I may still that idea... ya know, someday when I have kids :)

Your post has inspired me to start looking for "Rays of Light" as well. Reminds me of that song from "White Christmas"-- "When you're tired, and you can't sleep, count your blessings instead of sheep. And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings."

Thanks!