Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ray of Light

Today is a special occasion...you get pictures! Not often does a picture apply or seem appropriate to what I'm saying, but today it is.
This will shock my family, especially my father, but today my "Ray of Light" has to do with gardening or the bounty of the harvest.

For anyone that really knows me, they know that I hate dirt & bugs...therefore I'm not a big fan of gardening. I do believe it is a commandment from our prophet so I do it. I've kind of gotten off easy in the past because I really couldn't do much more than a pot here or there (the joys of apartment living), but now that we have a real yard and one with a garden plot built in by the previous owners, I really had no excuse.
So with the help of my parents, husband, and little sister Ruth, I planted my garden...and low and behold, it's actually growing and quite well I might add.
As you can see, the pumpkins have taken over. Just to the left of the sunflowers my "cucumber" plant is going like crazy as well (it was supposedly a cucumber plant, but it ended up being a zucchini...and ANYONE that has grown zucchini or has lived by anyone that has grown a zucchini they know they're prolific, to say the least.)


Here are some of my zucchinis. I FINALLY got smart and started picking them A LOT sooner. We can only eat so much zucchini and we only have so much room for it in our freezer.



And I've been SO proud of my little bean plants. These 2 pictures show just one picking from them!






I am truly thankful for the bounty from my garden. I am thankful to a wise Heavenly Father that commanded us to grow a garden. I am SO thankful for faithful parents that didn't give up on me...I seriously would beg to do the dishes so I didn't have to weed the garden...I'm not sure my dad was so sure I'd ever get the gardening bug. I may not like gardening, but I do have a testimony that it is what we should be doing...even if that means I have to face the spiders and dirt that come with it.

3 comments:

Jen and Joe. said...

ummmm....that. is. awesome. Your garden is BEAUTIFUL.

(And, if it makes you feel better, my parents used to resort to BRIBERY to get me to weed the garden).

HA!

Jeanerbee said...

Oh Yummy! I am so jealous - I know nothing about gardening but I LOVE zuchinni and green beans! Send some out here! lol

Lovely Lisa said...

SO jealous! We have missed having a garden. Let me know if you need some zucchini recipes.