Monday, August 18, 2008

Ray of Light

So I didn't get a chance to get on the computer on Sunday, but I did have a "Ray of Light" that I wanted to post, so here's one for Sunday (I can't promise I'll post one everyday, but I had intended to do one Sunday, but just didn't get on the computer.)

Sunday's "Ray of Light:"
I am SO thankful for the power of music. I know how to play the piano and do enjoy doing it, but sadly it seems to be only an occasional event instead of a frequent one. Yesterday after the boys were in bed I took the time to play a little and it was SO uplifting. I often play Hymns* or selections from the Children's Songbook**, so the words in and of themselves are uplifting, but just playing and somehow having the music really move through you has a tremendous healing effect for me. So I thank the Lord for music and for my ability to be an active part of it.

Here are the text to three Hymns that have been especially powerful to me lately:

Where Can I Turn for Peace?

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?
2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.
Text: Emma Lou Thayne, b. 1924. © 1973 IRI
Music: Joleen G. Meredith, b. 1935. © 1973 IRI
Related Scriptures:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Be Still, My Soul

1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In evry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heavnly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697; trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1813–1897

Music: Jean Sibelius, 1865–1957. © 1900 Breitkopf & Härtel. Arr. copyright, 1933, by the Presbyterian Board of Christian Education; renewed, 1961; from The Hymnal. Used by permission of The Westminister John Knox Press, Philadelphia, PA. Making copies without written permission of the copyright owner is prohibited.

Related Scriptures:
Psalm 37:3–9
D&C 101:14–16, 35–38


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Come unto Him

1. I wander through the still of night,
When solitude is evrywhere
Alone, beneath the starry light,
And yet I know that God is there.
I kneel upon the grass and pray;
An answer comes without a voice.
It takes my burden all away
And makes my aching heart rejoice.

2. When I am filled with strong desire
And ask a boon of him, I see
No miracle of living fire,
But what I ask flows into me.
And when the tempest rages high
I feel no arm around me thrust,
But evry storm goes rolling by
When I repose in him my trust.

3. It matters not what may befall,
What threat’ning hand hangs over me;
He is my rampart through it all,
My refuge from mine enemy.
Come unto him all ye depressed,
Ye erring souls whose eyes are dim,
Ye weary ones who long for rest.
Come unto him! Come unto him!

Text: Theodore E. Curtis, 1872–1957

Music: Hugh W. Dougall, 1872–1963

Related Scriptures:
Psalm 55:16–17, 22
Matthew 11:28–30


*Hymns: Three months after the Church was organized, the Lord, through the Prophet Joseph Smith, instructed Joseph's wife, Emma, to make a selection of sacred hymns for the Church: "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads" (D&C 25:12).

Now, 150 years after the first hymnbook was published by the Church, we are pleased to present this revision. Many hymns found in our original hymnbook and in subsequent editions are included, as are a number of newly added hymns. All have been selected to meet the varied needs of today's worldwide Church membership.
(www.lds.org)

*Children's Songbook:
Dear boys and girls:
Here is a book of songs especially for you. You can sing them just about anytime, anywhere. You can sing some of these songs to show thankfulness to Heavenly Father, and some just for the fun of singing.

As you sing, you may feel good inside. The Holy Ghost gives you warm feelings to help you understand that the words and messages in the songs are true. You can learn about the gospel in this way, and your testimony will grow as you learn. You will remember more easily what you have learned when you sing about it. The melody of a song helps you remember the words and also brings the feeling of the song to your heart. The illustrations will also help you see what the songs teach. Once you know the songs, they can be with you always (like good friends) to help you make right choices and be happy.

Music is a language that everyone can understand. Children all over the world sing these same songs. Music can also link the past to the future. Someday you might sing these songs with your own children.

There are songs in this book on almost every gospel subject. The songs explain our beliefs about life in heaven; about prayer, thankfulness, and reverence; about the mission of the Savior; about the principles of the gospel; about the importance of home, family, and heritage; about the beauty of nature and the seasons; and about the need for fun and activity. The last section is music that can be played before or after a meeting—or in your home—to create a reverent atmosphere.

Someday you will be leaders of the Church and of the world. What you learn from these songs will help you to be faithful and to serve righteously. The good feelings the songs bring will give you happiness and courage and will help you to remember that you are children of God.
(www.lds.org)

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi Marianne! I LOVE playing the piano. It does the same for me. It just releases stress and helps me feel uplifted. My mom calls it my "self care".