Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ray of Light- Perspective

This is kind of a mixed post...not only is it my "Ray of Light," but it's one of those issues I had on my list of things so blog about. Depression has truly given me such a different perspective on life. This topic came up in my support group and in some ways I'd realized it, but in others I'd never really put a name to what I was feeling so I think I wasn't completely aware.

I've found that not only do I have to have a different perspective in relation to my own life and expectations, but I am so pleased to say that I look at every one differently. I think I have become much more tolerant and understanding. I find that I wonder the "why" behind peoples actions a lot more than I did before. Or I'll find myself thinking, "I just don't know what their story is, so there's no need to judge them."

This has definitely been an unexpected blessing. I always needed to learn to be less judgemental, but this sure isn't they way I planned to learn it! ;)

Here's a poem that I got when I was a teen that seems really applicable here:

Judge Not
Pray, don't find fault with the girl who limps,
Or stumbles along the road,
Unless you have worn the shoes she wears,
Or struggled beneath her load.
There may be tacks in her shoes that hurt,
Though hidden away from view,
Or the burden she bears, placed on your back,
Might cause you to stumble, too.
Don't sneer at the girl who's down today,
Unless you have felt the blow,
That caused her to fall or felt the shame,
That only the fallen can know.
You may be strong, but still the blows that were her's
If dealt to you in the selfsame time,
Might cause someone as strong as you
to stagger a little in line.
~Author Unknown~

And who could say this concept more eloquent than our Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ:

Luke 6: 41-42

41 And why beholdest thou the mote* that is in thy brother’s eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

42 Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother’s eye.

It is my hope that I can continue to learn from my struggle and I pray especially that I can try to look at each situation from another's shoes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

*Mote: Chip or splinter

No comments: