Thursday, January 15, 2009

Christmas Doll

From the time I can remember my father always created a doll to give to my mother for Christmas.  It was always the last gift given and the most anticipated of each year.  He would make them from all sorts of materials.  From pop cans, to palm fronds.  He's truly a gifted artist.

Well Ryan knew how much I loved that tradition and so each year he has faithfully made me a doll.  I know this isn't something that comes naturally to him.  He doesn't have this crazy creative mind like my dad, but I think that might make his efforts that much sweeter.

Each year he starts thinking about the doll long before Christmas and often has to search for materials to create just what is in his mind.  Usually the doll has something to do with what is going on in our life or some inside joke...I love it.

Well, as most of you know, he recently started a job where he works out in the west desert of Utah.  The "doll" you see below was made entirely of things he found out there.  He had to specially dry and fold the reeds to keep them in the form of the horse.  I love it!

And again, I think the thing that I love most is the time and effort he puts into making the dolls.  They are truly a labor of love and just like it was for my mom, it's my most anticipated gift of each year.

I love you Ryan!

2 comments:

Lovely Lisa said...

That is sooo cute! Good job, Ryan!

Kenna said...

That's so sweet! You picked a winner!