Friday, March 13, 2009

Improvement...

The last few weeks have been a real roller coaster, like always, but even amidst it all, I've still noticed levels of improvement.  For example:

*This past week I have been SO tired (I wish I could explain how tired I was, but that's not the point), but this exhaustion was different from the normal "depressed exhaustion."  Yes, I was still so tired I didn't feel like doing anything, but it wasn't because I was feeling low or down.  I never thought being totally exhausted would make me happy.

*Or the other day I came down to get Braeden out of bed after his nap.  The first thing I saw was bring orange (or should I say "sunset orange"...thank you Crayola) lines all of over his once white pillow case and sheets.  He was proudly holding up a crayon.  I really could have flipped out at him, but instead I asked, "Oh, did you have a crayon in your pocket?"  He excitedly answered, "Yes!"  In that moment I realized, we'd never told him not to write on his bedding.  So I replied that, "We'll have to show Daddy when he gets home."

I'm really not trying to pat myself on my back, but point out a time where I feel like I was able to think rationally instead of "depression induced."  I guess in some ways I feel like my true self is starting to come out.  Do I think I'm "over it,"  definitely not, but it's nice to see those moments of improvement.

8 comments:

Lessa said...

Marianne. I think you're great. Always. Sorry, I'm not very good with words, but I just want you to know how much I admire and appreciate you.

Fromagette said...

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday! I found Anna drawing with a marker on the wall and I was so calm! I hope you feel less tired here soon.

Vicky said...

Well, I think you do deserve a pat on the back for that! It can be so hard to react rationally sometimes to things the kids do, and it's great that you could take a step back and see that he wasn't really being bad... just artistic. Way to go!

Jeanerbee said...

I hear ya! That is a "super mom" moment when you can calmly react to something crazy your kid has done (especially because it's usually the culminating event of a looooong day). I hope you took pictures =)

Vicky said...

It's good to hear that amidst the craziness you are feeling better... that your tiredness is a normal tiredness, etc.

Thanks for posting... I was thinking earlier today at work, "I wonder how Marianne's doing?" :)

I'm praying for you!!!

HeatherH said...

I totally understand - it's an amazing accomplishment to be calm, despite the disasters. I've also learned your kids respond and learn better too!

Judi said...

I don't even really know how I came to your blog, but I know I was led!
I am in the midst of MDD and just starting my climb out of this darkness. for the third time.
I know your blog will help me, thank you for the courage to post about this disease! I will be back here...alot :0)

lori said...

Not flipping out over orange crayon on the pillow-case is a true victory - for any mom! I'm with Vicky. It is SO HARD to react rationally most of the time!! I'm glad that little artist has such a good momma!