Thursday, March 26, 2009

Broken Things to Mend


I recently picked up a copy of Broken Things to Mend, a book written by Elder Holland.  I've wanted it for a while, but finally picked it up.  Even the quote from the back of the book has been so helpful.  It reads: 
"Just believing, just having a molecule of faith--that simple step, when focused on the Lord Jesus Christ, has ever been and always will be the first principle of His eternal gospel, the first step out of despair."
And as I read the dedication, I felt my eyes pool with tears:
"To all who feel that someone --or something--they love 
is irreparably broken or irretrievably lost.  
It is not."
So often I think that is how I feel.  I feel as if something "is irreparably broken or irretrievably lost."  It is such a dark place to be...so, so dark.  But then I read words like these and my eyes want to pool with tears of relief, thanks, and hope.  Here the Lord is speaking through one of His chosen servants straight to me.

With all my heart I believe that the Lord will speak to us individually, but how does that work when the receptors are broken.  How do you hear His call when in so many ways you are deaf to His words, paralyzed from His touch, and blind to His miracles.

I think for me, just purchasing and opening this book was my "molecule of faith."  So much else that I have been trying has fallen short of the mark.  So some little Ray of Light and inspiration from the Lord was able to peak through.  Able to break through the blinders of depression.  

The Savior has always said to "Come unto me," but so often I felt like, "Why would He even want me?  And am I even able to be fixed?"  
"Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion and Atonement, I promise you He is not going to turn His back on us now.  When He says to the poor in spirit, "Come unto me, " He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up.  He knows it because He has walked it.  He knows the way because He is the way."
He truly is the way.  In so many ways my life is "irreparably broken or irretrievably lost," but there is hope.

The lyrics to one of the most moving pieces I have every performed with a choir seem to fit SO well here:

And What is it We Shall Hope For
From The Redeemer
by Robert Cundick

And what is it we shall hope for?
We have hope through the atonement of Christ
And the power of His resurrection,
To be raised unto life eternal.
We shall pray unto the Father with all the energy of our hearts,
That we may be filled with His love,
Which He has bestowed on us who are true followers of the Lord, Jesus Christ.
That we may become the sons and daughters of God;
That when He shall appear, we shall be like Him;
For we shall see Him as He is!
That we may have this hope,
That we may be purified even as He is pure.
Amen.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I bought this book too! I've only gotten around to reading the first chapter, but it's awesome!

Anonymous said...

I have that book as well, but it's only on my list of "books to read" . . . maybe I'll bump it up to the "books on my night stand" list.

Lovely Lisa said...

It sounds like a really good book. Glad it was helpful!

Amanda said...

Mauri gave me the link to your blog because she thought it would help me in my struggle with depression as well. I admire your courage to put it all out there in the open, I so often hide behind a mask to keep others from seeing how I'm really feeling.

I feel the same way, that some thing in me is just broken, irreparably broken...

I am not LDS but think that I have been searching for something to hold onto something strong enough to bring me back.

Thank you.