Thursday, July 31, 2008

$93 for 15 minutes of what...?

One thing that I have found very frustrating is the monthly doctors visits that you're supposed to have when taking an anti-depressant. I really loved my OBGYN, but it was still frustrating to have the "check-up" visits, especially because I only had catastrophic insurance. Basically I would go to see him for 15 minutes (MAX) and then I'd be charged $93. Luckily I did convince my OBGYN to let me come once every 2 months, so that helped. I realize doctors have put in their dues, but it was still very frustrating to pay that while on a student budget.

The payment would have been more tolerable if I really felt like anything productive was happening. Basically my doctor would ask me some Likert scale (i.e. 1-being the worst, 10-being the best) questions like "On a scale from one to ten how is your energy level?" Could there be a more subjective way of finding out how I'm doing?!

Seriously, I HATE Likert scales. I mean are we talking about my energy level before I had depression, or before I had kids, or on a good day, or compared to our last visit, or how I've been overall since our last visit, or how I'm feeling today...BLAH! And what if my doctor looks at things from a different perspective? What then? I realize doctors only have so much to go on, but I really wish that there was a more precise way of judging how things are going. I also wish I could just make a phone call and answer these questions or be allowed to call in when I'm not feeling well.

I know it's not how it works, but there really should be some better way of assessing things. I wish I had the right answer so it could be better for everyone that has to go through it. This is really more of a vent, than anything else, but it all added to the stress of the situation...especially since as I mentioned earlier, we were on a student budget at the time and any additional costs really didn't fit. Not to mention the $76/month I was paying for the Zoloft (and that was from a cheap Canadian pharmacy).

Depression costs...in SO many ways!

1 comment:

rantipoler said...

I've always hated those scales, too. I felt like it was the worst possible way to assess my depression, especially since once I went to the therapist on a good day, I "scored" high on the scale I filled out, and she declared me cured and sent me on my way. Permanently. I think you're right - there has to be a better way to assess and help people.