Saturday, October 11, 2008

Winter

Well, if I hadn't figured it out by the temperature, the snow falling was definitely a strong indication that winter has arrived. Yes, it looks like it will warm up again, but none the less, winter is upon us and I'm worried.

Living in the South for the last 3 winters has made me weak. I don't do cold and snow very well. It really helps my mood to be able to get outdoors. I also thrive on natural light. Even rainy days are really hard on me (yes, that's coming from a girl that grew up in Western Washington...boy how I've changed!). I'm trying to keep rational and not freak out, but the more and more I think about winter, the more worried I become...especially if we repeat Utah's last winter!

I want to make it through this winter without crashing. I'd love ANY suggestions you have on avoiding cabin fever. I know most of you that read this site don't have depression, but that doesn't mean that your suggestions won't help. Please send your ideas!

6 comments:

Vicky said...

Oh my! Snow! The Olivers (the family I live with) are in Salt Lake City for their nephew's wedding today! Brrrr!

Sorry, I can't help you on ways to fight cabin fever. I love the rain (which is good, considering where I live). I also get really excited when it snows.

Some people around here go tanning in the winter (there's some sort of chemical thing which I don't know anything about). Not sure how you'd feel about that. I've never been tanning, in part because it weirds me out and in part because of the cancer in my family. I prefer to stay pasty white year-round.

Maybe you could take a trip to the tropical state of Washington. :)

Lara Neves said...

Well, I certainly hope that this was just a fluke and that we're snow free for a good couple months after this weekend. Not cool.

I have read about sunlight therapy for those who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). They say a natural light lamp, and sitting near it for an hour every day made a difference to these people. You can get an OTT lite at JoAnns or Michael's, which are natural light crafting lamps. They're kind of expensive, but it might be something to look into?

I struggled to readjust to winter after living in Phoenix for 3 years. I don't think I'll ever be the same, actually. I'd jump at the chance to move back down.

Good luck!

PS...I can't believe how big Bria is either! :(

Lovely Lisa said...

Play in the snow with the kids... it'll be good for all three of ya!

Liz Johnson said...

SERIOUSLY??? SNOW??? ALREADY?!?!

I like to bake. I don't know if that helps you or not, but it helps my cabin fever. You could always take what you bake to visiting teachees or something too, since my thighs hate having 300 cinnamon rolls sitting around the house. Or maybe trips to the library? Playgroup? Something that makes you feel obligated to get out of the house? I dunno. I could use suggestions too, actually. :)

Jeanerbee said...

I'd look into the tanning and the natural light therapy - have heard good things about both from those who suffer from depression worse in the winter.

HeatherH said...

Look into anything that will get you out of the house with the kids: playgroups, library storytime, malls with playplaces. I'm already dreading winter for the same reason . . .